Many of us would like to ensure we’re coronavirus-free before we travel. Such pre-trip Covid tests are now required by a few U.S. states and many foreign countries. Typically, to enter the state or country, you need to be able to show negative results from a Covid test taken within anywhere from 48 hours to 7 days of your arrival.
Thankfully, it’s become much easier to get quick Covid test results, whether you are seeking a mail-in-option that eliminates having to visit a public-health clinic or testing site, or you require an in-person test on a short timeline. While testing may not pick up a very recent infection, it’s a useful tool—especially if combined with a period of pre-trip self-isolation—for responsible travelers who aim to minimize our collective risk.
Below are several of your best options for a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test with the last-minute results you need for many destinations: We’ve listed both in-person options in select U.S. cities, and mail-in test kits that you can do from home. (Note that some places will not accept results from mail-in tests.) If you’re looking for a test in a location not listed below, do a search for quick Covid test—not “rapid,” as that is the term used for a non-PCR test—and your desired location. In my reporting, I’ve found that urgent-care centers are a good bet for quick Covid tests.
Whatever testing method you pursue, keep in mind that, while Congress has stipulated that Covid tests be free when “medically necessary,” insurance companies are interpreting that differently and may or may not cover pre-travel testing.
Jump to: In-Person Tests
Jump to: Mail-In Tests
- Curative conducts saliva-based tests at pop-up sites across the country. There is no out-of-pocket cost, and results are available in 1-2 days.
- DM Covid-19 Test will send a clinician to your home almost anywhere in the Lower 48 states to conduct a curbside test. Results are available the same day in northern Virginia and Maryland for $349, or the next day at any location that they cover for $299.
- CVS has drive-through testing—as well as walk-up testing in some locations—and reports that the average turnaround time is 1-2 days. Tests are free for those who meet certain criteria related to symptoms and exposure, and $139 otherwise.
- Walgreens offers drive-through tests at select locations; turnaround time varies by location and by the lab used to obtain results. There is no cost for most individuals.
- Passport Health is offering tests at some of their clinics at a cost of $200, with results in 72 hours.
- Saguaro Bloom sells test kits with a self-administered swab at their Scottsdale and Queen Creek locations; the cost is $150 for results in 24-48 hours. They also offer same-day results for $300 at their Scottsdale location.
- Good Life Medical Services has drive-through testing in Los Angeles that is free if you have insurance, or they will send a clinician to your home for $250. Results are returned in 48-72 hours; 24- to 48-hour turnaround is available for an additional $250-$350.
- Reliant Urgent Care conducts tests at locations across Los Angeles county; the cost is $175 for same-day results.
- OnSite Safe conducts drive-up testing in Van Nuys and Sacramento, using saliva samples. The cost is $164-$215 for results by midnight 2 days after your test; in Van Nuys, you can pay an additional $24.75 for results by midnight the next day.
- US Specialty Labs does drive-through testing with documentation for travel in San Diego for $135, with results in under 24 hours.
- McCampbell Analytical offers self-collected test kits, which you pick up and drop off at their lab about an hour outside San Francisco in Pittsburg. Options range from results by 7:00 p.m. the next day for $129, to results in 3 hours for $699.
- IGeneX offers testing in Milpitas, next door to San Jose; their staff will assist as you collect your own sample using a nasal swab. It is $250 for results in 24 hours, and $400 for same-day results.
- Wellness 4 Humanity conducts saliva tests in San Jose, with results in 24-48 hours for $189, or guaranteed the next day for $439.
- CityHealth conducts tests in Sacramento and throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, with costs billed to your insurance and results in 48 hours; you can pay $120 for results in 24 hours.
- Med2u Inc. does home/office visits in the Los Angeles metropolitan area. The cost is $200, plus a travel fee of $100 or more; results are available late the next day.
- OpenClear is a concierge service that brings a clinician to your home or office in the Los Angeles area for Covid testing. Costs range from $499 for results in 48-72 hours to $899 for results in 12-24 hours.
- Covid Testing LLC does testing at several locations in Orlando and Central Florida. Testing is free with insurance, plus a $35 charge for next-day results or $75 for same-day results.
- ARCpoint Labs offers tests in Ft. Lauderdale; the cost is $199 for results in 24 hours, $249 for results in 6 hours, and $399 for results in 2 hours.
- LAB Doctor offers tests in Ft. Lauderdale for $179, with results the next day.
- BayCare is conducting tests at the Tampa airport for $150, with results typically returned in 48 hours.
- OnSite Safe conducts drive-up testing in Tampa, using saliva samples. The cost is $164 for results by midnight 2 days after your test; you can pay an additional $24.75 for results by midnight the next business day.
- Med2u Inc. conducts tests at their Hollywood office, and will do home or office visits in the surrounding region. The cost is $200, plus a travel fee of $100 or more; results are available by late evening of the next business day.
- Physician Partners of America will come to clients in the Tampa and Orlando areas to conduct a test for $300, with results in 24 hours.
- OpenClear is a concierge service that brings a clinician to your home or office in the Miami area for Covid testing. Costs range from $499 for results in 48-72 hours to $899 for results in 12-24 hours.
- Viral Solutions offers drive-up testing in several locations around Atlanta at no cost. Results are typically available in 2 days.
- Wellness 4 Humanity conducts saliva and throat-swab tests in Atlanta, with results in 24-48 hours for $169, or guaranteed by 2:00 a.m. for $209. They will also come to your home or office for an additional $249.
- Wellness 4 Humanity conducts saliva and throat-swab tests in Honolulu, with results in 24-48 hours for $199.
- Prime Care Physicians offers drive-up tests at their clinic in Schaumburg with results in 15-48 hours; they accept some insurance or charge $125 out of pocket. They also do in-home or in-office tests for an additional $100-$150 fee.
- Brookville Pharmacy conducts tests in Chevy Chase; the cost is $200 for results in 48 hours, or $250 for results in 24 hours.
- DM Covid-19 Test conducts curbside tests at their Columbia office; it’s $199 for next-day results, or $249 for same-day results.
- Tufts Medical Center conducts tests in Boston, with results in 48-72 hours. If your insurance does not cover the test, the cost is $135.
- ARCPoint Labs offers tests in St. Louis; the cost is $225 for results in 48-60 hours, or $250 for same-day results.
- Phamatech, Inc. conducts shallow-nasal-swab tests in Las Vegas. The cost is $120 for results in 24-48 hours.
- CareCube offers tests at their locations in Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Queens. The cost is $100-$150 with insurance, or $225 without, with results in 4-6 hours.
- The Medical Offices of Manhattan performs tests at their three locations in Manhattan, with results in 1 hour. The office visit costs $199 (your insurance may cover this), and the test costs $225.
- Venistat will send a clinician to your home anywhere in New York’s five boroughs or on Long Island. The cost is $115 with insurance, or $185 without. Results are guaranteed in 24 hours; the average turnaround time is 14 hours.
- OnSite Safe conducts drive-up testing in Manhattan, using saliva samples. The cost is $184 for results by midnight 2 days after your test, or $208.75 for results by midnight the next business day.
- The New York Center for Travel and Tropical Medicine offers tests with same-day results in Manhattan; the test costs $395, an official certificate for travel an additional $35.
- Urgent Care of New York performs drive-up tests at its four locations in Westchester and Rockland counties for $75 (they accept most insurance for the cost of the visit), with results in about 20 minutes.
- Med2u Inc. does home/office visits in New York City. The cost is $200, plus a $100-$200 travel fee; results are available in 24 hours.
- OpenClear is a concierge service that brings a clinician to your home or office in the New York area (including Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) for Covid testing. Costs range from $499 for results in 48-72 hours to $899 for results in 12-24 hours.
- AFC Urgent Care Center conducts tests in South Philadelphia. They bill insurance for a standard test with results typically returned in 1-3 days; same-day results are available for $150.
- Frontage Lab does testing at its Exton facility. The cost is $200 for same-day results.
- AFC Urgent Care Center offers tests at their 5 locations in the Portland area. The cost is $139 for results in 24-72 hours, or $199 for results in 15-60 minutes.
- At their two locations in Nashville, Complete Health Partners offers a package that includes a medical exam and a Covid test for $250, with results in 30-45 minutes.
- DevLab bio conducts tests at their lab near Dallas-Fort Worth. The cost is $150 for results in 24-36 hours, or $250 for same-day results for tests done prior to 2:00 p.m.
- OpenClear is a concierge service that brings a clinician to your home or office in the Houston area for Covid testing. Costs range from $499 for results in 48-72 hours to $899 for results in 12-24 hours.
- ADL Health conducts drive-through tests at its San Antonio testing center; the cost is $169 for results in 24-48 hours.
- The City of Seattle offers free tests with results in 48-72 hours.
- Discovery Health MD conducts test at the Seattle Airport and at the DoubleTree Suites by Hilton nearby. The cost is $176 for next-day results or $349 for results in 1 hour.
- The price: $119 for travelers flying on United; $169 for all others
- The promise: Results are typically available 24-48 hours after the lab begins processing your sample.
- The process: Order a kit online; when you’re ready to conduct your home test, return to ADL’s website to activate your kit. Collect your sample via a shallow nasal swab, then send it to the lab using the enclosed, prepaid UPS Next Day Air shipping label.
- Get more info on ADL Health.
Azova via Costco
- The price: $116.99
- The promise: Results are expected 12-72 hours after the lab receives your sample.
- The process: Kits are available only for purchase online by Costco members. Once you receive your kit, you can schedule a video observation to collect your sample. Return it via the prepaid next-day air shipping materials.
- Get more info on Azova.
- The price: $185
- The promise: Results are expected within 72 hours of shipping your sample to the lab.
- The process: Order online and your testing kit will be shipped to you via FedEx overnight delivery. Collect your saliva sample and return it in the overnight packaging provided.
- Get more info on Carbon Health.
The COVID Consultants
- The price: $219 (+$25 if you need a Saturday delivery label)
- The promise: Results are guaranteed within 24 hours of your sample arriving at the lab.
- The process: Fill out their form and The COVID Consultants will immediately send you a kit (you can choose between a sputum test or nasal swab) and an invoice. Collect your sample and send it to their lab via the included packaging for overnight shipping.
- Get more info on The COVID Consultants.
- The price: free with insurance, or $99
- The promise: Results are normally available with 48 business hours of the lab receiving your sample. You must be 18 or older to use this test.
- The process: Order a kit online and you will receive it within 2 business days. Collect your sample with the shallow nasal swab, then return it via the enclosed FedEx next-day packaging.
- Get more info on empowerDX.
- The price: $109
- The promise: Results are reported within 24-48 hours of the lab receiving your sample. The stated time of your sample collection may default to midnight. You must be 18 or older to use the test.
- The process: Order a kit online and it will arrive within 2-10 business days, depending on the shipping method you choose. (The order form requires that you report potential exposure in order to qualify for a test; Everlywell has confirmed to us that any time spent in public qualifies as exposure.) Once the kit arrives, insert a swab about one inch into each nostril, then return your sample to the lab via the prepaid UPS next-day service label.
- Get more info on Everlywell.
- The price: $225, with a 10% discount on orders of 4 or more kits (+$15 if you need a Saturday delivery label)
- The promise: Results are typically reported 24-36 hours after their lab receives your sample.
- The process: Order a kit online and ImmunitiRx will send it out via FedEx two-day shipping. Spit three to four times into the supplied cup, then deliver it to a FedEx DropBox for overnight shipping to the lab (box and shipping label provided).
- Get more info on ImmunitiRx.
- The price: $127.95
- The promise: You’ll get your results within 48 hours of the lab receiving your sample. Results are available by midnight the day after the lab receives your sample for an additional $24.75. Test kits can not be shipped to Alaska, Hawaii, or New York City.
- The process: Order your kit online, then spit 3-5 times into the cup and return it via the included FedEx Overnight shipping label.
- Get more info on OnSite Safe.
- The price: $138.30
- The promise: Results are typically available 24 to 48 hours after your sample arrives at the lab. You must be 18 or older to use this test.
- The process: Quest’s kit includes materials to collect an upper respiratory nasal sample and a prepaid overnight Fedex shipping label. (Quest also offers drive-through testing at a number of Walmart locations across the country for $128.30.)
- Get more info on QuestDiagnostics.
- The price: $200, plus $39 shipping fee per order (+$10 if you need a Saturday delivery label)
- The promise: Results are available 12-14 hours after the lab receives your sample.
- The process: Order either a nasal-swab or sputum testing kit and collect your sample. Return it to the lab via the prepaid overnight shipping label.
- Get more info on Med2u Inc.
- The price: $119
- The promise: Results are typically returned 24-48 hours after your sample arrives at their lab. The provided documentation lists the date of the sample collection, but not the time.
- The process: Receive your testing kit in the mail, then do a Zoom video call with a test supervisor, who will guide you through the process of saliva collection. The kit includes prepaid materials for overnight shipping.
- Get more info on VaultHealth.
Wellness 4 Humanity
- The price: $149, or $559 for a 4-pack
- The promise: Results are available in 24-48 hours after the lab receives your sample. The provided documentation lists the date of the sample collection, but not the time.
- The process: Purchase a kit online. Spit into the enclosed collection tube, then return it via the prepaid overnight packaging.
- Get more info on Wellness 4 Humanity.
We’re here to help
If you’re thinking about a trip to a state or country that requires pre-travel testing—but haven’t yet planned your trip—write to Ask Wendy. We know which trip-planning specialists have up-to-the-minute testing intel for your destination and can ensure that your entire trip is safe, smart, and extraordinary. Check out Real Trips Right Now to see the difference that this makes. We are not able to help travelers meet specific testing requirements unless they have booked their trip through one of the WOW List experts we recommend.
Be a safer, smarter traveler: Sign up for Wendy’s weekly newsletter to stay in the know. And read real travelers’ reviews of Wendy’s WOW List and use it to plan your next trip.